Scientist - Immunologist (IBD)
Scientist – IBD Immunologist
Novome is building genetically engineered microbial medicines (GEMMs) that perform defined activities in the human gut to treat chronic diseases. We have developed the first platform for controlled colonization of the gut with engineered therapeutic bacteria. We are focusing current research efforts on making a microbial cell therapy to treat inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
We are seeking a talented immunologist with expertise in adaptive immunity of the gastrointestinal tract (GI) to be a critical scientific driver of our preclinical IBD program. The Scientist will be responsible for leading characterization of therapeutic candidates and developing the necessary in vitro cell-based assays and in vivo animal disease models for establishing efficacy of our IBD GEMMs. They will design experiments to evaluate sophisticated therapeutic strains in the most relevant conventional and ex-germ-free humanized animal models, with access to support from animal research and strain engineering teams. Scientists will work in a collaborative, transparent environment with other gut microbiota, synthetic biology, disease area and clinical experts to bring new therapeutic bacterial strains from conception to IND filing.
- Drive translation of bacteria with novel engineered activities from in vitro proof-of-concept through to IND filing
- Work with scientists across different disciplines to design and set up in vitro, ex vivo, and in vivo experiments to support multiple platforms/programs, leveraging molecular assays, mammalian cell culture, and animal models of inflammation and colonization biology
- Contribute and develop domain knowledge of therapeutic GEMMs behavior to evaluate colonization biology in relation to host biology and biomarker modulation
- Operate as a highly specialized individual contributor, working closely with clinical and disease area experts to envision therapeutic strategies and evaluate or troubleshoot in vivo performance
- PhD or equivalent industry experience in immunology or a related discipline; ideal candidate would have 2 or more years of industry experience in a therapeutic R&D setting and/or significant and relevant post-doctoral training
- Deep knowledge of human immunology is required, with an emphasis on adaptative immunology within the gut environment
- Extensive experience with mucosal immunology of the gastrointestinal tract is desirable; previous work in the therapeutics areas of IBD or Celiac disease preferred
- Proven ability to design cell culture assays and interpret complex animal data to draw conclusions about immunological processes and disease biology; experience with primary human immune cell culturing is key
- Proven excellent oral and written communication skills and highly collaborative attitude is required
- Experience with microbiology or the microbiota broadly is a plus
- Eagerness to work on a multi-disciplinary scientific team, while adapting with flexibility to the fast-paced need of a clinical-stage startup
To apply, please use the form on the right-hand side of this page.
Novome Biotechnologies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.